Sunday, May 28, 2006

In order to reduce ....

the vigilance required to keep people from parking in front of our driveway I decided to put two 'costals' ( like a potato or grain sack) filled will dirt in the street on either side of the driveway. There! I announced to myself, let's see them get around those babies.

Most didn't go 'around' them they drove over them. Shredding the jute sacks and spilling a line of dirt as they drove away dragging the sacks with the undercarriage of their cars.

Although heavy, many folks,including women, simply got out of their cars and hefted the sacks to the sidewalk and then parallel parked across the driveway.

I stopped a young woman while she was dragging one of my sacks to the curb.
"why do you think I put those 'costals' there?"
"I don't know"
I flushed my best thin-skinned Irish red.
"So people won't block my driveway!"
"How was I supposed to know?" She huffed, got back into her car and spun the tires at me as she roared away.

It was clear sacks of dirt fell far short of what the situation demanded. I began putting rocks, bricks and pieces of concrete and when a brandy or tequila bottle wound up empty they too were added. If I had known anything about explosives I might have considered it.

The sacks got so damn heavy it became a chore to move them if any of the family needed to park there. The new loads were only a little more successful than their dirt bag predecessors. I still found bags ripped open and pieces of brick and glass strewn about.

Somebody stole one of the 'costals'! Stole it! What could he be thinking? That there was some treasure in it and he must get the sack home as fast as possible to open it?

I'll keep the 'costals' on duty but I have some other ideas. War is hell.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

The cemeteries of the world are full of indispensable men. - Charles de Gaulle


MEXICO (as I see it):


Between the cow bells of the garbage collectors, the flute of the knife sharpener, the whistle of the mailman and the chain rattling of the bottled gas men, the streets of Mexico sound like a Hari Krishna chant-in at Michigan University.


THE SERIAL: Her Viking

Will have to pospone until tomorrow. It's too late to get it typed and, beside, it's time for the Suns and Mavericks NBA playoff. 'nos vemos'

4 Comments:

Blogger SUEB0B said...

You need the classic Mexican no-parking sign "Se Ponchan Llantas Gratis." It took me forever to figure out. Why did all these people want their tires punched free?

8:33 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

that sounds absoluty crazy! the concept of a driveway doesn't exist? i think you should get a sign too. but that just might turn up missing, as well. maybe you could just park your car sticking out a little into the street - you know at the end of the drive - that way nobody could park there. i keep shaking my head, because, to me, this all just seems so crazy. hope the game was good!

9:38 PM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

Haha! I missed the previous post. You already HAVE the sign. That is too funny.

7:20 AM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Thanks for joining in with suggestions.

I haven't explained sufficiently how our driveway is configured, but, I will.

We shall overcome.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home