Sunday, May 21, 2006

Got up at 5:30 AM....

and hooked two fifty foot hoses together so I could water the whole garden area. No rain is the cause of all this. Why so early? The muncipal water pressure here is strongest in the pre dawn hours.

If one waits another two hours there isn't enough pressure to fill a hundred foot hose let alone provide a spray. I've seen men at Fourth of July picnics, loaded with beer, with more squirt.

Yesterday went well considering the mob of people in attendance. I have alway been a loner or if not a 'loner' certainly more reclusive than the average bear. The gang of inlaws that I am now a part of is a real challenge for me.

A pitcher of blenderized vodka, peach juice and ice, a couple of 'caquamas' (liter bottles of beer) and my personal, brandy and water over ice took care of much of the social pressure. Things went swimmingly.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart. - e.e.cummings


MEXICO (as I see it):


In the poorer 'barrios' of the city the morning sounds
include the, ever present, barking of dogs but that is only the
tip of the iceberg. Also may be heard the crowing of roosters,
the gobbling of turkeys and the cooing of pigeons.

More exotic sounds may greet the dawn. The bleat of a goat,
the grunt of a hog or even the raspy bray of a burro may
join the symphony of these humble surroundings.

All in all, it's a more melodious, natural, sound than the
raucous middle class racing cars through their neighborhoods,
blaring horns at each other, as they tear into the new day.

AND

When Mexicans play, adults as well as children, they are
very ball oriented. Not baseballs or golf balls, not the solid
kind, but the air filled, bouncy kind.

Everyone seems to enjoy games with balls. They kick them
mainly, but also, they bat them up in the air, throw them and
roll them too. They even enjoy chasing after a runaway ball,
unlike Americans who always wait for the other guy to go fetch
it.

Whether it's at the beach or the park everybody brings a
ball to round out the fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet Evening said...

Please tell me another story! And pour me one of those drinks.
I like this place!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Hi dad,
All your comments about Mexico is making me want to come down and hang out with you.

5:24 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

me too, but you don't know me. and we know how you do with a house full of people you know. but i wouldn't mind if you watched tv in your skiveys. it all just sounds so intriguing and wonderful. you're lucky.

9:18 AM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Thank you all for your nice comments.

First, OK janet evening ,I'll try another story. I'm full of stories. I think that's what they said I was full of.

Secondly, to Gandhi rules all I have to say is: COME ON DOWN!

And, finally, to cameo, intriguing and wonderful, huh? You are looking at my half empty glass as if it were half full. How do you do that?

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home