Wednesday, October 11, 2006

President Bush has come upon...

a golden opportunity to keep his mouth shut. Will he accept the challenge?

At last, North Korea has pissed off some other heavyweights besides the U.S.. China and Japan are seriously getting involved. What could be fairer? One is just a submarine ride away and the other shares a border with the funny looking guy from N. Korea. Both countries have far more to worry about if Kim Jong II decides to flex his dwarfish muscles than does the United States.

So, we have allies. We used to have them in Afghanistan before big mouth went after Saddam. We can only hope that the President realizes why and how he lost the support and friendship of so many countries over Iraq and decides to let the Asians handle an Asiatic situation.

If Mr. Bush can keep it zipped long enough for China and Japan to get some business done maybe we can save a few skillion dollars and some American lives at the same time.

But, for a guy who wishes to be known as the 'War President' it must be unnerving to hear the other bunch doing the wolfing while his own sword lies snugly in its scabbard with nary a rattle.


Something different: to paraphrase one of my favorite quotations which goes something like: "I would have committed suicide long ago if it weren't for Mozart."

I feel the same way about blogging. If it weren't for Gandhi Rules and Toasted Suzy I would have quit this nonsense long ago. I get such a kick out of each of them that I can't bring myself to pack it in. No matter how ridiculous my message they each have a way of making me feel I made sense.

So, on I slog.


QUOTE OF THE DAY:

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. -- Ernest Hemingway


MEXICO(as I see it):

STREET FOODS OF MEXICO

We left off here:


11. TENTEMPIE* (ten-tem-PEE-yay)
A popular word in Mexico. It refers to a bit of food to 'tide one over' until the next meal. A composite word made up from a phrase meaning to maintain one's footing, that is, balance, so as not to drop from hunger.




BEBIDAS/DRINKS

NOTE: Some of this information is dated. Especially about what is or is not available in the U.S.. Practically every beverage in Mexico may now be found in the U.S..

Also, I have not tasted all of the drinks listed. However, I have drunk many of them many times, so my comments range from 'purely' opinion to gospel truth.


1. AGUAMIEL (ah-gwa-me-ELL)

The sap of the agave plant, which, when allowed to drain into a scooped out hollow in the heart of the plant, forms a nutritious, refreshing drink that has been used by desert dwellers.

2. AGUARDIENTE (ah-gwar-dee-EN-tay)

A generic name given to any strong drink derived from sugar cane. The name, regionally, may also refer to any spirits or liquors. What remains constant, however, is that any bottle labeled AGUARDIENTE will contain an inexpensive, clear, alcoholic liquid, which when drunk heartily will insure a superior hangover.

3. ATOLE (ah-TOE-lay)

Made from a re-fined corn meal, milk and sugar. It is served hot and is a favorite cold morning drink.


4. BACANORA (bah-kah-NOR-rah)

A fermented alcoholic drink made from TUNAS, (cactus fruits), popular in the northwest of Mexico. (Sonora/Sinaloa, etc.). Also known as COLONCHE.

5. BALCHE: (bahl-chee)

An ancient Mayan ceremonial liquor. It is the product of soaking in water the bark of a tree known by the same name. Not something one is apt to run into but interesting nonetheless.

6. CARDENAL: (kard-day-NAL)

A fancy 'ladies' drink (heh, heh), pink in color. Behind its innocent demeanor it sports white rum, orange liquor, grenadine and HORCHATA (a rice drink) with almonds. A cherry for garnish adds to its Little Bo Peep presentation.

7. CANCUN: (kan-COON)

A modern cocktail named for its place of origin. A mixture of white rum, orange liquor, creme de coco and coconut water the CANCUN is elaborately served in a coconut shell and is sure to improve your dancing skills.

8. CERVEZA (sayr-VAY-sah)

Mexican breweries produce very fine beers. Some of their beers are sold only regionally while others, most notably Corona, may be found though out Mexico but in the United States as well. It may come as a surprise to some but Corona is also enjoyed in Europe and as far away as Africa!

Corona is to the Mexican beer business what Budweiser is to the American beer business. It should be noted, however, that Grupo Modelo, the largest brewery in Mexico, produces several other brand names. Almost all of them are designed for export except Modelo. It is the top of the line of Mexican beers and is the favorite brand when one wishes to impress one's guests. Modelo is to Corona what Michelobe is to Budweiser.
By the way, in the Southwest U.S.,at least, Modelo is readily available on market shelves at a stiff imported price.

The makers of Corona also produce the brand Estrella, (ess-TRAY-yah) which I prefer because it's not quite as strong tasting and, perhaps more importantly, is also cheaper than Corona. Estrella, however, is one of those beers sold almost exclusively in the city of Guadalajara, Jalisco. Even within a couple hours of the city the brand is practically unknown, so much so that vendors won't even accept Estrella empties as a bottle deposit for Corona! (more readily available today)

Allow me, one day, to relate the saga of bottle deposits in Mexico. It is a subject so historically complex I could do it justice only if someone like Michener would help me.

Among some of the other brands you might wish to try are: Dos Equis (Dose A-keys), the regular lager (clara) or dark (negro), Chihuahua (chee-WAH-wah) from the North and Pacifico, another personal favorite, from the state of Sinaloa. Still others are Sol, a good tasting beer, Carta Blanca and Tecate, sold in cans and the only beer I have ever seen Mexicans drink with a wedge of lime and a little salt.

When I got back to the United States I was surprised to see young men and women stuffing pieces of lime down the necks of Corona bottles. When I asked where that idea came from I was told 'That's the way they do it in Mexico'. I figured I must have been in somebody else's Mexico all those years.

Victoria, Superior and Bohemia are three more brands popular around the country. Bohemia is another of Mexico's premium brands.

9. CHAMPURRADO: (champ-poor-RADO)

This is atole with chocolate and piloncillo (a kind of brown sugar).

CHAMPURRO: (champ-poor-roe)

The same as above but thickened with wheat flour instead of corn flour.

cont.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

awww daddy. Did you know that toasty and I are sisters? And the funny thing is, is that you know deep down, it could be true....lol.

6:04 PM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

I've only been in Albuquerque a few times. I won a couple games of pool and almost got run over trying to cross a street.

That's all I'm copping to.

6:49 PM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

Now I'm mad that I don't get any love...what about meeeeee? she whined.

I love your blog and would be crushed if you were to stop. Just the other day my sis and I were on the phone, singing its praises...

8:44 PM  
Blogger Janet Evening said...

and that would be me, much the fan. I love your writing and attitude and everything. My blog has died a merciful death, but I read yours

5:45 AM  
Blogger Janet Evening said...

and that would be me, much the fan. I love your writing and attitude and everything. My blog has died a merciful death, but I read yours !

5:47 AM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Sue bob and Janet Evening,

Sorry, didn't mean to slight anyone. I'm happy to have you aboard.

Since Gandhi is kin she feels free to prod and chide me to get off my ass and write something.

Sometimes, though, I think I'm just blabbing instead of blogging (or are they the same thing?).

Janet, did you fall into the same state of disinterest as well? Contact Gandhi, she'll rag on you until you'll start up again.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home