Monday, August 14, 2006

I thought when I began...

blogging I would have lots of interesting insights to pass along. Turns out that I'm not only not insightful but I appear to lack even a basic understanding of what goes on around me.

Today's confusing terms are 'to win' and 'to disable'. I presumed I knew the meaning of such common verbs but, I guess not.

For example, Hezbollah is celebrating its 'victory' over the Israels. This gala comes after losing more than 900 of their own countrymen and suffering billions of dollars of wanton destruction to the infrastructure of their largest city. They win! Win what? If that's winning then I wonder what's the definition of losing?

Israel is claiming they have achieved their objective, which was to run the Hezbollah out of southern Lebanon. Mission accomplished, they say. We've dealt a disabling blow to their capacity to wage war, they say. Yesterday, Sunday,the day before the cease fire, more than 250 rockets landed on Israeli soil. It was the heaviest bombardment in a single day since the debacle started. I must not know the meaning of 'disable' either. I thought 'disable' meant, at the very least, to slow something down.

Oh well, that's why I don't trust my opinions anymore. Found out my vocabulary isn't sufficient enough to record a sensible observation.

I still feel that I understand 'shallowness' and 'chickenshit' though.

The Bush Administration's 'relaxing' of immigration requirements for Cubans so "It will be easier for Cuban families to reunite.", stinks of both of those terms.

After all this time the Bush/Cheney cult decides now is the time to help Cuban families. Curious timing don't you think? It would seem such an announcement might cause a mad rush of Cubans trying to take advantage of such a generous offer. This, in turn, might cause the Cuban officials to crack down. This, of course, will cause civil unrest which, with a little push, could cause destabilization and panic.

During such a turmoil Cuba, especially with Castro on the sidelines, might fall into senseless internal fighting and some serious bloodletting.

I'm sure the Bush Administration did not have such a scenario in mind when they made their magnanimous gesture. Not even they could be that chickenshit right? It's all about reuniting Cuban families, right? Right??


QUOTE OF THE DAY:


Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - Einstein


MEXICO (as I see it):

Since I'm in a political mood and since, as I've already shown, I don't understand a goddamn thing about it I'm going to pose this next observation as a question.

How is it that the U.S. has a policy which favors Cuban immigration, even to the point of saying if they touch American soil they can stay, while the same government is building walls to keep out Mexicans?

Does the U.S. love Cubans and hate Castro? Do they love Fox and hate Mexicans? Or...WTF!

Now you know the horrid truth - wisdom does not come with age.

I was this dumb at fifteen.

11 Comments:

Blogger Toastedsuzy said...

Well this is a real fucking pick me up!

Thanks alot Buckman! I'm going to go drink myself into a stupor now.

(This is actually approval and comisseration, here. I will be drinking to you.)

TS

4:01 PM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

I'll have one with you toasty. ¡salud!

4:17 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

can i join you two?

9:47 PM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Absolutely, cameo.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Janet Evening said...

Cuba will clean up real nice, it's the right size for a theme park/country/destination that will keep the development guys busy. Mexico is just too much to manage right now...

6:06 AM  
Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Dad, great post. I love it. I'm so with you in your thinking.

Janet-lol yer a funny girl...and yes Cuba would look lovely with Mickey, Minny and the gang.

Can someone quietly do away with our leaders please?

6:26 AM  
Blogger Toastedsuzy said...

Our present leaders will be replaced, if we are lucky, with leaders who are more skilled at disguising the soullessness and mindless greed inherent in our capitalist system.

I remember a time when we/I used to lament the dishonesty in politicians. "Just give it to me straight, guys; don't bullshit me."

Now I'm like, "Christ! Somebody teach that man to lie! So I can sleep at night! So I can live with myself!"

(Drinking)

The children. The children. The children.

If we can keep them alive (i.e. not blowed up) and save them at least a lifetime's worth of atmosphere, maybe they can fix some of the things we fucked up.

Here's looking at you, Gandhi! You make me want to leave this fast-paced Oklahoma lifestyle and head up to the big city.

Grab you and go down to Mexico, where we only have to worry about bad drivers and evil label-readers.

8:01 AM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Damn, how I hate those evil label readers!

1:39 PM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

Hey Janet, you're right about one thing, Mexico sure is too much to manage.

I've been trying it for a long time and the only thing I've managed to do is make the vein in my forehead get bigger.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

toasty lets go. I'm do for a trip.
I totally agree with the need for better liars.

dad..that blasted forehead vein..

7:04 PM  
Blogger Toastedsuzy said...

I have tagged you, my expatriated friend. For a book meme.

In case you're interested.

TS

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home