Tuesday, July 18, 2006

At least some reporters still...

have a way with words. I saw an article about the President's faux pas with the following title:

"The 'shit' heard around the world"

Good stuff.

Have just returned from three days in Guadalajara. You all probably know that Guadalajara is the second or third largest city in Mexico. Second or third depends on which shakey statistics you are relying on. Monterrey fits in there too. Who knows?

I don't think there has ever been an accurate census taken in Mexico. It is a task beyond the imagination. Some say that nobody knows how many people live in Mexico City. I have read estimates between 12 and 25 millions! Pretty wide margin for error wouldn't you agree? At one point, in the early nineties, Mexico City was being touted as the largest city in the world.

Suffice it to say that Guadalajara is a sizable city with somewhere in the area of 3 to 7 million inhabitants, give or take a few thousand.

The stat I can attest to that you won't hear anywhere else is that all 3 to 7 million people have three cars each. Not only that, but all 21 million autos are on the streets 24/7. How is that possible you ask? I don't know but, that's the way it is.

In only three days there I plowed my way through at least 21 million vehicles, narrowly missing a few thousand and being narrowly missed by a few thousand others. I don't know which is the worst city on the planet to drive in; I've not been to Cairo, Rome or New Deli. I have, however, been scared to death in Bogota, Colombia, Mexico City and Atlanta, Georgia. Guadalajara must be in the runnig for the world's worst.

Perhaps it's just the years weighing me down. I drove for eight years in Mexico during the eighties and nineties, 7 of those years in Guadalajara. Back then I was plenty bally and drove with Mexican tunnel vision. Tunnel vision is when you fix your gaze on the spot you want to go to and head straight for it. You leave it up to the rest of them to figure out how to miss you. Now, though, as soon as I leave where ever I'm parked I wish I hadn't.

High speed, close quarters, vicious attitudes and the complete absence of anything resembling common courtesy. To hell with courtesy I'd settle for turn signals and brake lights.

One dare not slow down to look for a street name. Horns will blare and you will be passed so close that you're sure some paint has been lost. Buses, trucks and taxis may turn left or right in front of you but, if you find it necessary to change lanes cars will speed up to prevent it. If you are successful you can be sure a horn will announce its displeasure, then, another pass and more paint gone.

Guadalajara has great food (if one can find a parking space within walking distance of the place) and a great zoo (if you can get there through all of the construction sites). There are lots of interesting things to visit in Guadalajara but I couldn't slow down enough to see what they were.

My advice to visitors is to leave your car at home and use taxis. If you live here, leave your car at home and use taxis. Just remember, asked the price for the ride (make sure the price is for everybody and not per person) and let the taxi lose the paint.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: With sticks and stones!


MEXICO (as I see it):

Summertime is a great time to try all the refreshing drinks Mexico has to offer.

First, there are the 'aqua frescas'. To Americans, these would be close to want are called 'ades'. The favors are numerous and different to what tourists are used to. The waters, limon (lime), tammerind, jamaica and coconut, to name a few, poured into tall glasses over crushed ice. Really hits the spot when you're soaked in sweat after an hour of city driving.

Then, there are the 'licuados'. This drink is mainly a morning starter and serves for many as an inexpensive breakfast. They are made using fruits, usually mango, banana or papaya, blenderized with milk, ice and sugar. A raw egg may be added for a little extra. Honey in place of sugar if one prefers.

I can tell you from experience a 'licuado' along with a warm 'bollio'( a crusted roll similar to a bagette but with a lot more bottom) makes a fine breakfast, sitting down or standing on the corner.

There are other drinks too and I'm going to pour one of them right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

I'm so glad I wasn't in the car with you in Guadalajara. I would have covered my eyes to prevent feeling terror and my ears to prevent your curses from scraping my bones.
Lol, awww come one, it's funny when I tease you about your road rage.

and pour me one while you're at it..

5:22 PM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

Mexicans are such congenial people...except when they are in their cars. It is a wonder, isn't it?

9:40 PM  
Blogger bbuckman said...

gandhi : I must stop driving for health reasons (mental). Poor Leti, she needs ear muffs.

Suebob : Or when on a crowded sidewalk.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home