Wednesday, June 21, 2006

One more thing I....

didn't know about Mexico. What's new huh? I haven't known anything about this place since I first walked across the border in 1987. Found this quote on a Latin News web site:

[equality of the sexes] That's a relatively new idea in Mexico, where women weren't allowed to vote — or even be defined by the constitution as citizens — until 1953.

1953! Probably sounds neolithic to most of you but, I assure you, it was not all that long ago.

In 1953: Stalin, the scourge of the U.S.S.R. died. Goerge C. Marshall won the Nobel Peace Prize for developing the Marshall Plan which led the way to NATO, an organization which still exists. Everyone's favorite guy, Richard Nixon was Vice President.

Sir Edmund Hillery and his partner scaled Mount Everest. Yankees beat the Dodgers in the World Series. The first edition of TV Guide was published as was Playboy magazine.

The Pulitzer Prize for literture went to Ernest Hemingway for Old Man And The Sea. The Oscar for Best Picture went to The Greatest Show On Earth produced by Cecil B. DeMille.

And I? I returned from working on a salmon fishing boat off the coast of Bellingham Washington and in March of 1954 joined the Marine Corps at the ripe old age of 17. So, you see, it couldn't have been that long ago.

To this day, in Mexico, women in rural or remote areas are not permitted to participate in politics and I'm sure, many of them still don't know they are citizens.


My new favorite bumper sticker: WAR IS NOT PRO-LIFE.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

For me a religious experience is walking into a really good New York Jewish deli. - my mom (KOS)


MEXICO (as I see it):

Playing chicken on the sidewalk is a favorite Mexican game.

Who must cede the right-of-way is like a reproduction of 'Little'
John and Robin Hood on the bridge.

On rushing young women play the game best, that is to say,
they are the most possessive of their sidewalk space. The women come straight at their target and act as if they are going to
walk right over the top of the other person. A collision is averted at the last possible second as someone veers slightly
whizzing past the other so closely that their hair wafts in the ensuing breeze and a whiff of bath soap and perfume may be
smelled for five paces after the near miss.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

Dad, I have sidewalk walking issues being in NYC. And I think I'm going to have to agree with you about it being women who are the most annoying. I think it has something to do with being the more oppressed of the sexes. We have to get our way somewhere.

6:20 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

1954 - the year my mother was born. definately not so long ago (she had me at the ripe old age of 18!) amazing "equality" didn't happen until then. oh wait! more amazing 'equality' has happen for all by now.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home